Beloselsky–Belozersky Palace.St. Petersburg
Beloselsky-Belozersky Palace became the last private Palace built in Nevsky prospect.
The owners of the Palace belonged to the oldest Russian princely family, since the sixteenth century, representatives of this family held high positions in the public service.
The construction of a new Palace on the Nevsky Prospekt was carried out by order of Prince Esper Beloselsky-Belozersky.
The building occupies a site at the intersection of Nevsky Prospekt from the Fontanka river, the modern Nevsky prospect, 41.
The construction of the Palace was carried out under the project A. Stakenschneider in the years 1846-1848, the building became a shining example of a rich aristocratic mansion of the mid-nineteenth century.Stood on this site previously a mansion with facades in the Empire style, built in the early XIX century by architect F. I. Demertsov, was completely modified. We rebuilt the hull, facing the Nevsky prospect and the Fontanka river, and erected new outbuildings in the yard. Were newly furnished and the interiors of the Palace.Beloselsky–Belozersky Palace.St. Petersburg
The architectural appearance of the Palace of Beloselsky – Belozersky Palace suggests that the architectural prototype was the Palace of count A. S. Stroganov on Nevsky prospect, erected by the project of F. B. Rastrelli in the middle of the XVIII century.
Both buildings are located on similar corner sites: one on the corner of the Embankment, the other on the corner of Fontanka river.
In the facades A. Stackenschneider have used an Arsenal of lush Baroque semicircular pediments, flower trim, oval Windows, the figures of Atlantes, etc. This style was dominated in the Russian architecture in the mid-eighteenth century, at a time when it was built Stroganov Palace.
In accordance with the Baroque style on the facade as there are numerous columns, and the facades have elegant coloring in three colors.
Particularly good pastiche of Baroque became figures of Atlantis, performed by model D. I. iensen.
The staircase of the Palace of Beloselsky-Belozersky Palace and most of the halls were decorated with motifs from Russian and Western European architecture of the first half and the middle of the eighteenth century-Baroque and Rococo.
Contemporaries believed Beloselsky-Belozersky Palace “perfection in its kind” and called the … “the successor of fine taste and art of the count Rastrelli.” The Palace was the first in St. Petersburg example of a mansion in the style of the “second Baroque”.
From the middle of XIX century in Russian architecture went in this stylistic direction, as eclectic. Architects, creating projects of their buildings used motifs of various architectural styles.
Following the then common “smart policy selection” took into account the functional purpose of the building. As Stackenschneider designed the Palace, and the motifs he used lush and ornate Baroque style.
Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna. Photographer Mendelssohn, 1880-Jeno in spite of the resemblance with her prototype, there is a significant difference. Especially distinct is the difference between these two palaces becomes when comparing their plans.
Since the mid-nineteenth century Beloselsky-Belozersky Palace became the venue of the famous balls and other social events. At concerts in the Palace were Anton Rubinstein and Franz Liszt. Frequent guests of the Beloselsky-Belozersky Palace were representatives of the Imperial family, as on the opposite Bank of the Fontanka was Anichkov Palace.
In 1884 the Palace was purchased by the Imperial family, it was settled by the brother of Emperor Alexander III, the great Prince and future Governor-General of Moscow Sergei Alexandrovich. He moved here with his wife Elizabeth Feodorovna (née Princess Ella of Hesse-Darmstadt) immediately after the wedding.
Since then, the Palace became known as St. Sergius. The new owners of the interiors has been redone for the project R. F. Meltzer.
In the Palace, Sergei Alexandrovich was only on short visits. Unlike his brother the Emperor, Sergei Alexandrovich was unable to avoid death at the hands of terrorists.
4 February 1905 SR Kalyaev killed the Grand Duke. His widow was organized in Moscow the Marfo-Mariinsky convent, became its abbess. The Palace on Nevsky prospect Elizaveta Fyodorovna gave to the nephew of the great Prince Dmitry Pavlovich, as his children, Elizabeth Feodorovna and Sergei Alexandrovich was not.
During the First world war, the Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich gave the Beloselsky-Belozersky Palace of the Anglo-Russian hospital. For his needs were allocated the five biggest rooms. Later, Dmitri Pavlovich joined the circle of high-ranking conspirators against Rasputin.
After the murder of Rasputin conspirators were put under house arrest, the Palace became a luxurious prison for Dmitry Pavlovich and Felix Yusupov.
In 1917, the Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich was exiled from Russia that saved his life, he was one of the few surviving Romanovs, lived 1942. Just a few months before the revolution the Palace was bought by banker and industrialist staheev.
Beloselsky–Belozersky Palace.Saint-Peterburgski the revolution the Palace was nationalized. Since 1920, it housed the regional party Committee of the Kuibyshev district. The collection of paintings assembled Beloselskie-Belozerskie was transferred partially to the State Hermitage Museum, partly in the house on the Krestovsky island.
After the events of August 1991, the Beloselsky-Belozersky Palace was referred to the Committee on Culture of St. Petersburg.
The Palace is perfectly preserved original interiors, among which are the state rooms on the 2nd floor: the Oak hall (former library) used as a small concert hall, Art gallery, Main dining room, Beige living room, the Mirror (ballroom) hall with excellent acoustics, as it was originally intended for concerts and is still used in this capacity, a Golden Crimson room.
In all these and other rooms have been preserved artistic decoration of mid to late nineteenth century: fireplaces, lamps, moldings, paintings, mirrors, furniture and much more. Today the Palace is open to visitors, there are concerts. In the beginning of the century there was opened a Museum of wax figures. The cultural center holds numerous exhibitions and conferences.